Originally known as the town or city park, Murphy Park has always been the center of downtown Glendale and has a special connection to Glendale’s founder, W. J. Murphy.
Murphy encouraged settlers to the area and he donated the park to Glendale in 1909. Glendale residents closely protected the park, allowing only a public library to be built here (the first in 1917 and the current one in 1971). Motivated by patriotism in 1912, residents installed a 110-foot wooden flagpole in the park. The tallest flagpole in the state stood until 1964, that same year the Glendale City Council renamed the park for Murphy.
|ADDRESS:||W Glendale Ave, Glendale, AZ 85301|