Guest Blog from Cheryl of The Country Maiden.
Old Towne Glendale and Historic Catlin Court merchants are going all out to beat the summertime blues. Fabulous photo ops, holiday-inspired sales promotions, vintage craft make-and-take, and more.
To get a little more festive, we decided to create the “12 Reasons to Visit us for Christmas (in July).”
There is something for everyone discover in our downtown area Saturday, July 19 – wouldn’t you like to take a look at our reasons?
- Festive Prize Wheel – Begin your day at the Glendale Visitor Center and pick up the event day activity map then take a spin on the prize wheel. It’s free, it’s Christmas-themed, and there’s a special one for kids – what’s not to love?
- Snow Globes for all ages – At Bears and More, create a paper snow globe, or look for that perfect, festive Teddy to go under your tree! For the older set, head over to Blue House to create a snowy scene in a mason jar!
- Christmas Sweets – Fun for all ages at Shelley’s Specialty Desserts: decorate a cookie or two – but try and save them for after lunch!
- Cookbook Trail – speaking of cookies, check your activity map for the cookie stops. Collect recipe pages from participating shops, and then make your final stop The Occasional Artist, where you will leave with your new recipe book completed!
- Dine Local – taking a break in the middle of the day in one of our “mom and pop” restaurants is a great way to catch up with family, and friends that are close enough to be your family – your “framily.” Stroll through the blocks of options, or consult your map, check out our award-winning restaurants. Haus Murphy’s, La Piazza, Kimberly Ann’s, Touch of European, M & G’s, The Spicery…too many to list! Check out the whole list and plan ahead in the DINE section of Visit Glendale.com. We all get super busy for Christmas in July, so reservations are suggested.
- Get that Christmas Card Done Early – bring a silly sweater or Hawaiian shirt and visit Santa* from 10-2pm at Country Maiden. *One photo per family, nominal fee for Santa Photos or guests are welcome to bring their own camera.
- Ice cream – did you know July is National Ice Cream Month? They always have so many flavors to choose from, but Saturday’s special flavor – Peppermint of course – might be your go-to to stay in the spirit! Papa Ed’s is great for dessert, but Saturday, they are also offering a special ice cream craft that won’t melt!
- Quick de-stress – All this Christmas talk stressing you out? Head over to Astrology Store and walk through their impressive wind chime collection; or even stop in for a quick chair massage!
- Homemade Gift Inspiration – Take in a painting demonstration to get a head start on homemade holiday décor and gifts. Stop in at Vintage Green Old Town Treasures, hosting Paint demos from 10-2pm. The shop is a unique collection of old, new, gently used, and re-purposed everything. Always having fun, painting away.
- Giving back – Hope for Hunger is collecting donations Saturday to fill up their food bank. But you don’t have to donate just peanut butter and tuna! They also use reams of paper and paper bags for sorting and deliveries. Anything you see on this list is invaluable! Also check out all the shops who are donating their proceeds from crafts to Hope For Hunger, like Talented Tortoise’s Holiday Magnet craft!K9 Ravi
- Giving back times 4 (paws) – Make a “pawsitively” adorable holiday card or grab a K-9 “pawtograph” at 2 Share Gifts, with proceeds going to the Glendale K9 unit!
- Celebrating all our shops because we love to shop local – our shops love to celebrate our customers year round, but summer is when we like to give some good deals. At Cottage Garden l and ll, save big during the Annual Customer Appreciation Days, where customers dip their hands in the cookie jar for extra savings! Country Maiden celebrates Americana Style with 25% off everything if it contains any red, white, or blue!
We hope you enjoyed the list, and stay tuned for more downtown promotions every month!